What you need to know about registering a domain name
If you want to create an online presence for yourself or your business, a domain name is a must. But unfortunately, most people do not know the first thing about registering a domain name.
In this article, we would discuss if not all but almost all the things you need to know when registering a domain.
By the end of this post, you would learn how to choose a domain name, domain extension available and will get to know some domain registrars available
How to choose a domain name
If you are registering an expired domain, this part of the article isn’t for you. But you want to register a brand new domain, read on.
(Additional reading: How to choose an SEO- friendly domain name)
- Keep it short. When a domain name is too long, your clients might mistype or misspell it. You don’t want that to happen to you, so keep it short.
- Use keywords. You should use keywords that describe your brand and the services you offer. Using keywords is another way to rank higher on search engines.
- Make it easy to type. When your domain is not easy to spell, your customer might land on another site because they mistyped your name. Make your domain name very easy to type.
- Avoid hyphens and numbers. It is easier to forget hyphens and numbers. Most domains with hyphens are often misspelled. However, if you are to use hyphens or numbers in your domain, register the different variation of the domain to be safe.
- Avoid trouble. Before you choose a domain name, be sure that the name you have chosen is not copyrighted or being used by another company. It could lead you into a huge legal problem and will also cost you a fortune.
When choosing domain names, there are various extensions you can choose from, like:
But I would advise you to choose .com as it is far better than other domain extensions. It is easier to remember than other domain extensions.
Research shows that about 75% of domains have the .com extension, next to .net and .org comes third.
Domain name registrars
Domain name registrars are companies that manage internet domains. You need domain registrar to register your domain names.
Here are some of the top domain name registrars:
Now that you have seen all the steps to getting a domain name, you can go ahead and get a domain name without hassle, but don’t forget to renew your domain name before it expires.
— DLA Piper (@DLA_Piper) 15 de mayo de 2017